Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Racoons and Hummingbirds

So far, the garden is producing and no groundhog to be seen.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh   :)

I love watching my hummers come to the feeder.   It is located under the dogwood tree which I can see while sitting and sewing in our great room.

Every 3 days I change the homemade nectar and wash the feeder for them.

Last week, I noticed that the hummers were acting strange when they came to drink.   So I decided to check out why.   I had just filled the feeder the day before and it was empty!   The feeder itself had mulch on the top and on the bottom of it.  Hmmmmm....I thought possibly the nectar had evaporated.

I refilled it and put it out again.     This happened 3 days in a row and now my shepherd's hook is bent and I notice the mulch all messed up.

GOOGLE to the rescue........RACOONS love hummingbird nectar !!!  Yup, it was a masked raider drinking the nectar at night.    

"They" say you can grease the pole the feeder is on so the racoon cant access it.   I decided to move a taller shepherd's hook in place first.

:) smiling big here......no more masked raider!!    Hummers are happy and I am happy too.

Here is the recipe I use for my nectar

4 cups water
1 cup sugar

Bring to simmer until all the sugar is dissolved.  Refrigerate unused nectar.


Be well, Be happy

I am adding new items to the shop daily.  I would love for you to check them out.

4 comments:

  1. I think you have more critters than we do! Lol...just wait until a possum visits...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have more critters than we do! Lol...just wait until a possum visits...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some determined critters out your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jessica we do. Most people think of NJ as all shoreline....Certainly not where I live. And all the critters come with it. I am just trying to live "with them" instead of fighting them. :)

      Delete