Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Cruise and Car Show season

My game plan for today was to do a post about some of the Patriotic creations we have in

But instead, as I sit here looking at my bulletin board, I see a Car Show flyer that we want to attend.

So a little background on my "baby"   For those that do not know, I am the original owner of "her"


Yup, a 1969 numbers matching Camaro !  The body has been restored, but the interior, engine and drivetrain are all original.  She purrs with 86,000 miles.  I have all the original documentation for her too.

Shortly, she will be uncovered, powered up and dusted off for the upcoming season.  I prefer car cruises, where you just drive up, park, take out your chair and sit.   No competition, no judging, just relaxation.   Meeting wonderful people and making new friends.

I purchased her in January 1970 as a leftover for......wait for it........$2800.00 !!   My car payments were $63.00/ month for 3 years......can you believe that?   LOL 

Dad took me car shopping.......I knew wanted a 69 Camaro, no other car would do.  It had to be an automatic on the floor, I loved the shifter look but could not drive stick at that point.    I looked at the Indy Pace car, which was a convertible,  automatic and had a 350......Dad said NO, it's a convertible and will sit out in the weather.  So......on to the next dealer....

There I found this green metallic Camaro.  No engine markings on it, automatic....on the column (yuk) and had this really weird stripe going along the side that said YENKO on it.   Okay, I could get used to that stripe but NOT the automatic on the column.....Dad talked to the salesperson and said....."you will kill yourself in this".   Was I confused with that comment?  YES !  only to find out years later, it would be worth a small fortune right now as it came through with a high performance engine in it.

NEXT dealer............and there is where I fell in love with "her".  3 days later, I drove her home and we have been together ever since.


No comments:

Post a Comment